english

english

Expressing Like and Dislike


  1. 1. If you like something: I like cooking. I love eating ice-cream." I adore sun-bathing.” I’m fond of chocolate I like swimming very much.
  2. 2. If someone likes something: She likes salsa music. He loves butterflies. The cat adores walking at night. She is fond of cookies. He likes studying English at the National University.
  3. 3. If you don’t like something: I don't like sport at all. I dislike wasting time. I can't stand spiders. I can't bear cooking in a dirty kitchen. I hate crowded supermarkets I detest being late. I loath celery.
  4. 4. If somebody doesn’t like something: She doesn't like Dutch. He dislikes going to the beach. She can't stand onion. She can't bear writing essays. Samuel hates tomatoes. Caro detests going to the dentist. Ruben loathes garlic.
  5. 5. If you neither like or dislike something: I don't mind doing the housework. Dislike is quite formal. Fond of is normally used to talk about food or people. The 'oa' in loathe rhymes with the 'oa' in boat.
  6. 6. Questions and Answers Q: Do you like ice cream? Q: Does she like reading? A: Yes, I do. A: Yes, she does. No, I do not / No, I don’t. No, she does not / No, she doesn’t. Q: Do they like animals? Q: Does he like working? A: Yes, they do. A: Yes, he does. No, they do not / No, they don’t. No, he does not / No, he doesn’t. Q: Do Julian and Vero love writing Q: Does Isaac like studying English? poems? A: Yes, we do. A: Yes, he does. No, we do not / No, we don’t. No, he does not / No, he doesn’t.
  7. 7. I love cats I am fond of monkeys I like mice I like dogs I love donkeys
  8. 8. Joana hates snakes Joana does not like spiders She can’t stand wasps
  9. 9. Things to remember To talk about your general likes or dislikes, follow this pattern: like something or like doing something. Be careful where you put very much or a lot. These words should go after the thing that you like. For example, "I like reading very much." NOT "I like very much reading."

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.